new idea for lunar - auto selecting download mirror using country codes

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Fri Jul 22 20:28:25 UTC 2005

On Friday 22 July 2005 04:06 pm, Zbigniew Łuszpiński wrote:
> Eric Sandall <eric at sandall.us> pracowicie wystukał(a):
> > On Wed, 20 Jul 2005, Zbigniew £uszpiñski wrote:
> > > Hi!
> > >
> > > Before I use any big module like firefox, patch it first by inserting
> > > in SOURCE_URL[0]= local, huge and fast ftp.icm.edu.pl mirror which is
> > > only 6 hops from me (it's even closer to me than nearest proxy
> > > server!). It's quite boring task to patch modules knowing they will be
> > > overwritten every lunar update. So...
> > >
> > > What do you think about changing enumeration system of source_url to
> > > something more faster which allows to use local mirror servers first to
> > > speed up transfers?
> > >
> > > We could use for example international telephone calling codes (those
> > > one beginning with plus sign e.g. +48 Poland, +49 Germany +33 France,
> > > etc...) Of course without plus in lunar...
> > >
> > > Or to preserve compability sed links with country code at end .pl e.g.
> > > to give to wget only the one in the same or in the neighbour country.
> >
> > Would the use of netselect[0] be a better idea?
> >
> > -sandalle
>
> I think this is too complicated. I thought about country based selection
> only. This is good trade off between complication/performance.
>
> Maybe make menu so user can choose which server should be tried first?
>
> Or mixing both methods: display only servers in user's country and
> neighbours for easy selection.
>
> greets,
> Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski

I really don't see the need for such granular control of download mirrors. I
have found if one is not fast enough for me, running Lunar and changing the
default mirror is easy enough.

While it's a nifty idea it seems like a lot of work just to maintain. Perhaps
your idea would have a better chance if you were to implement it on your own
box and run it a while.