Module names

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Fri Jul 8 17:51:59 UTC 2005

> On Fri, 8 Jul 2005, Terry Chan wrote:
> > Renaming modules to all lowercase is NOT going to happen.  So feel
> > IGNORED.
>
> It /is/ a lot of work. :)

Useless work IMO.

> > Especially in the case of GIT and git.  I purposely renamed the ancient
> > git module GIT for Gnu Interactive Tool, so that Linus Torvalds new "git"
> > would become the moonbase "git" module.  It was either that or we just
> > drop the older GIT completely from moonbase.
>
> I wasn't aware of why there was a GIT, but was just using the name as
> an example.
>
> > In most of the other cases we (as in Lunar) go with whatever the source
> > code authors name their tarballs. Tell those authors to rename the
> > tarballs to all lowercase.
>
> That's a convenience for the developers, I was thinking more (IMO) how
> to make it convenient for the users.

I use lunar since few months (migrated from Mandrakes: 6 to 10.1) and as new
user I can tell you that module names in general are the same as tarballs
names. Thanks to this it is _easier_ to install modules. There are many other
things which are very unconfortable in SGML/Lunar. The module names are not a
problem at all.

> -sandalle

zbiggy