udev bugfix

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Jul 5 23:50:14 UTC 2005

Ooops I forgot this one:
> Is there a reason udev 60+ doesn't allow firmware updates?

Yes, there is one reason:
"udev 059
========
Major changes happened with this release. The goal is to take over the
complete kernel-event handling and provide a more efficient way to dispatch
kernel events. Replacing most of the current shell script logic and the
kernel forked helper with a netlink-daemon and a rule-based event handling."
(...)

from udev-059 or 060/RELEASE-NOTES

My comment to your question:
udev-059, udev-060 and later _allow_ firmware uploads but in different way
than usual. My patch implements this different, new way in lunar to wake up
dead devices. My modem is working example that after small changes in config
uploading firmware is available with udev-059 and 060. Tested!!! And use it
everyday.

> -sandalle

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski