udev bugfix

Zbigniew Łuszpiński zbiggy at o2.pl
Tue Jul 5 22:23:40 UTC 2005

> Quoting Zbigniew ?uszpi?ski <zbiggy at o2.pl>:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have just uploaded to svn new udev-60.patch which fixes bug in udev=20
> > configuration of hotplug devices (e.g. USB modems). Without this patch=20
> > udev-059 and later versions will not allow to autoconfigure or
> > autoupload= =20
> > firmware to such devices making them useless.
> >
> > So if some of your hotplug devices do not work after updating to
> > udev-059= or=20
> > udev-60 recently, this patch is for you.
> >
> > I made it for my SpeedTouch 330 ADSL USB modem, but this patch is
> > univers= al=20
> > and work with other hotplug hardware (not only modems).
> >
> > For those who do not have access to svn I included patch which will
> > updat= e=20
> > udev to 060 version and enable hotplug. If udev-60 is already installed,
> > = edit=20
> > this patch and remove everything below =A0) > $C_FIFO 2>&1 line and then
> > = patch=20
> > udev.
>
> Is there a reason udev 60+ doesn't allow firmware updates? Have you
> talked to Greg KH (he might be interested in your patch if this is
> unintended)?

The change was made with udev-059 and continued in udev-060. Future versions
will follow it. Read changelog and release-notes files provided inside
udev-059 package and future udev versions (like udev-060). This change is
permanent. However it looks distros are not ready for using new udev.

I did not tested it with other hotplug hardware - I only have my modem which
only work with my patch.

You can read specs of my modem here: http://www.speedtouch.com/prod330.htm
The firmware " Embedded Firmware for Linux users" is on this page:
http://www.speedtouch.com/support.htm

Uploading of such firmware is impossible without my patch. The udev-058 and
earlier do not need patch.

Kay Sievers mentioned in changelog about new changes. But Greg KH written
gentoo config file which 1 line I used in lunar patch. So it looks udev team
knows about changes they introduced :-)

The patch is designed for lunar and it applies Gregs command if it is not
available in config file. Otherwise it is not used. For people who do not use
hotplug devices the patch is transparent == do nothing.

> -sandalle

greets,
Zbigniew 'zbiggy' Luszpinski