pwc module

Couannette couannette at free.fr
Sat Jan 22 11:51:31 UTC 2005

Auke Kok a écrit :
> Couannette wrote:
>
>> The way I like kernel module to install !
>>

> errr, okay
>
> Here's my viewpoint on this. Although it's nice to add new functionality
> to your kernel and this module patches your current kernel sources
> correctly, it would become unportable/unmaintainable if you even add
> only one other module to your moonbase that does this very same trick.
>
> We (as in distro maintainers) are better off with:
>
> 1) people writing kernel modules that can be compiled outside the kernel
> tree (alsa-driver, hostap-driver etc etc)

err, but....

This driver compiles outside your kernel tree, it makes simple use of SUBDIRS
feature of 2.6 kernel build system. A clean method and the recommended way by
2.6 developers...

> 2) a patchset that we can possibly include to the proper kernel (for
> instance, linux-2.4-agr)

err...
making use of kbuild SUBDIRS method allows this module to build with ANY kernel
that is currently selected by Lunar (/usr/src/linux)...

I let you add a conditional to not build the module is you've selected a 2.4
kernel because this driver is specific to 2.6...

> anyway I hope your webcam works nicely now ;^)

YES and it's one of the best webcam available, and for astronomer, it's the best
customizable webcam, ...

Cheers

Couannette