Server refused to allocate pty - solved (sort of)

Jaime Buffery nestu at espresso.foo-projects.org
Mon Feb 14 21:08:34 UTC 2005

Hello, Dennis

> Me me me me :)
>
> The box is all scsi except for a ide CD/DVD burner.
>
> My layout is :
>
> /dev/sde1       /home   reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime 0 0
> /dev/sdd1       /mnt/storage reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime,users 0 0
> /dev/sdc1       /var reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime 0 0
> /dev/sdb1       /opt reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime 0 0
> /dev/sda4       /usr reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime 0 0
> /dev/sda2       none    swap    defaults 0 0
> /dev/sda1       /boot   ext2    defaults,noatime 0 0
> /dev/sda3       / reiserfs defaults,notail,noatime 0 0
>
> As a temporary fix just to get this thing up. I booted from rescue, created
> a /mnt/root/usr/bin and copied "readlink" from the resuce to there. So it
> boots now and everybody gets mounted which is what was not happening before.
> Not a pretty fix but well.

Okay, so I've got a fix for the scsi script that I need tested. And let's face
it you are the only I know that can... would you mind?

These are the steps you would have to take:

* cd /etc/udev/script.d/
* wget http://lunar-linux.org/~nestu/scsi-devfs.sh.patch
* cat scsi-devfs.sh.patch | patch -p1

Reboot at tell me what happens.

If you read the patch you will see that is changes any reference to readlink for
a stupid little func that should do the job, I hope. Obviously, I have tested
the func in a dummy scipt I created for the purpose on my box, and it behaves
exactly like readlink.

As soon as someone gives me the thumbs up, this patch is going into moonbase.

TIA,
Jaime :)