XOrg-test module

Nick Hudson nhudson at lunar-linux.org
Fri Sep 10 04:12:58 UTC 2004

I just commited a XOrg-test module to zbeta.  Now this isnt the final
module and I still think it needs alot of work and clean up.  Any help
would be appreciated.  Now there are some cool new things with the
release that you will have to enable if you want to use them.  If you
want drop shadows and transparency on everything you will need to enable
the Composite extension in your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file.  This is a
quick HOWTO:

1: Open up your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file with your fav editor.

2: Add the following lines to your /etc/X11/xorg.conf file somewhere

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
Option "RENDER" "Enable"
EndSection

3: If you have a NVIDIA card you might want to add this also to the same
section:
Option "RenderAccel" "true"

This will get you a noticable speed increase when you use the Composite
extension.

4: Next you need to install xcompmgr and transset
lin -c xcompmgr transset

xcompmgr is what makes the drop shadows on the open windows and menus

xcompmgr -c & : This will get you a soft drop shadow
xcompmgr -s & : This will get you a hard drop shadow

Transset is used to create true transparency in a window.  Once Window
Managers adopt this new extension you will not have to use it anymore
but for now you must use it if you want transparency.

transset .2 : (note: 0 = fully see through, 1 = no transparency)

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.  But keep in mind these
are "Development" extensions and may or may not work for some people.

Thanks

Nick

Nick Hudson
Lunar Linux Dev Team