blender now uses scons?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Wed Oct 13 17:37:06 UTC 2004

Woody Gilk wrote:
> saw that blender is now at version 2.34, but why ("Blender update: now
> use scons... yuck!") scons? didn't my script work? or was it just too
> convoluted with having to install ode into the source directory?

blender opted to use scons and uses it to automatically detect installed
versions of python etc. This is much more flexible than editing and
overriding the values for their broken Makefiles they roll out (and
don't keep up to date).

PROOF: there's a bugreport on blender.org for me that displays that the
scons-generated makefiles cannot detect the proper Python version
installed (scons... is ... python....)

I noticed SM also uses scons to build blender and it's a lot less
overhead to maintain for us... simplicity rules. Also it's the preferred
way of building blender according to the blender devs. Since they can't
maintain a proper Makefile-based system and I'm not gonna hack blender
every release this saves me a lot of time. I also didn't get your script
to work, perhaps thats due to some different deps but again I'm not
gonna delve into that.

blender looks good but it's way too troublesome to build for me every
time without scons. Anyone that gets it to build easier and more
flexible is welcome to send patches etc though, as usual. No I still
don't like python, although I like java less.

sofar