linux-beta kernel....

Nick Hudson nhudson at lunar-linux.org
Mon Oct 11 00:47:31 UTC 2004

On Mon, 2004-10-11 at 02:30 +0200, Moritz Heiber wrote:
> On Sun, 10 Oct 2004 18:24:54 -0500
> Woody Gilk <woody.gilk at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > you know... this whole debate about linux and linux-beta does need
> > some discussion. the state of things right now is that Lunar _cannot_
> > upgrade to Gnome 2.8 because the 2.6.x kernels are still "beta". i'm
> > not trying to start a flame war (i still use 2.4 because it works
> > better for me), but i think there are a lot of people who want 2.6.x
> > considered the "main" kernel.
>
> Please do _not_ start a thread about this topic. Revising the lunar kernel
> structure is being processed and we just introduced some very important
> core changes to make the migration for every user (read every as in
> 'I'm-just-an-average-luser') go as smooth as possible.
> There will be a stable, 2.6 branch kernel soon .. not today .. and not
> tomorrow. Its going to be there 'when it is done'(tm). Period.
>
> Regards,
>
> Moritz
>
> PS: I wonder why people hesitate to actually blame the GNOME developers for
> requeiring the use of unstable and not well tested code (udev/2.6.x
> kernels). But yet again .. thats just my two cents

Well, last I heard or thought the 2.6 kernel is considered "stable" they
are even shutting down the 2.4 tree to new features and going into
maintainership mode.  Since udev is the "default" /dev filesystem with
2.6 I think you could call it "stable", but then again it all depends on
your opinion of "stable".  I think the Gnome devs wanted to use the best
tools to further advancement of the Gnome Desktop, and udev solved alot
of problems that Linux and Gnome had/has.  Personally I love the move
and love using Gnome 2.8 with udev, USB plug and play is really nice.

Nick