linux-mppe module

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Fri Nov 19 10:41:53 UTC 2004

Richard Pyne wrote:

>Here is a kernel module based on linux-stable that has the
>patches needed to go along with the mppe-mppc patch in net/ppp
>to support pptp tunneling.
>
>--Richard

Thanks for you submission!

I would like to ask you to file this module in the non-free modules
website, as the patch included is obviously problematic. Quote:

+ * WARNING! Although this is open source code, its usage in some countries
+ * (in particular in the USA) may violate Stac Inc. patent for MPPC.

+  Please note that Hi/Fn (http://www.hifn.com) holds patent on MPPC so
+  you should check if this patent is valid in your country in order to
+  avoid legal problems.

Since the law handles this differently in countries around the world...
it would go to far to put this module in the main repository. I would
appreciate it however if you archived it in the non-free website over here:

    http://lunar-linux.interhact.net/

Striker has just re-set it up and I will shortly file my own non-free
modules there too.

sofar