linux-beta (2.6.7)

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 29 20:07:04 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 09:16 am, nestu wrote:
> Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > With linux-beta I had no network connection, couldn't ping anyone outside
> > the box though localhost and the NIC could be pinged and ifconfig/netstat
> > showed everyone was there for the party.
>
> Works fine here.
>
> > What fixed it was compiling the driver (3c59x) into the kernel. This is
> > the first time I've encountered this sort of problem and have no idea why
> > 2.6.7 has to be this way since the last several incarnations of 2.6.7
> > worked with it as a module. Couldn't find anything in the logs under
> > either scenario to suggest a troubleshooting path.
>
> I have it as module, w/o any problem.

Yes, on every kernel from way back, it has worked either way for me. I almost
always have it setup as a module with kernel versions up to 2.6.7rc3. This is
the first time (for me) this has not worked.

>  > Is this a bug in the kernel or Lunar?
>
> Can you explain how this could be a Lunar bug?

No I can't. Perhaps a poor generalization. As mentioned earlier, I thought
there might have been a subtle logic flaw in /etc/init.d/network that I was
not able to discern.