linux-beta (2.6.7)

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Tue Jun 29 13:01:50 GMT 2004

On Tuesday 29 June 2004 08:49 am, Auke Kok wrote:
> Dennis Veatch wrote:
> >With linux-beta I had no network connection, couldn't ping anyone outside
> > the box though localhost and the NIC could be pinged and ifconfig/netstat
> > showed everyone was there for the party.
> >
> >What fixed it was compiling the driver (3c59x) into the kernel. This is
> > the first time I've encountered this sort of problem and have no idea why
> > 2.6.7 has to be this way since the last several incarnations of 2.6.7
> > worked with it as a module. Couldn't find anything in the logs under
> > either scenario to suggest a troubleshooting path.
> >
> >Is this a bug in the kernel or Lunar?
>
> well if you had included the output of 'ifconfig eth0' and 'route -n' I
> could have conclusively deduced that it must be a kernel problem
> obviously. Especially if you had output the same from the working 2.4
> setup and 2.6 as module... Now I'm just guessing that it's a kernel
> problem.

Well, I didn't really think the outputs were needed because under both
situations, they showed the exact same things those commands always show when
the network is functioning properly. Which is/was part of my "Um that's odd"
factor.

So if you really want them, they can be provided.

It was only by a WAG that I tried it compiled in and to my surprise it worked.

> Either way lunar doesn't 'know' what the kernel does really

That's what I figured but thought on the off chance the /etc/init.d/network
scripts might have had a slight logic flaw.