Sexyboy, ppp and lan

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Sat Jul 10 23:46:22 GMT 2004

On Saturday 10 July 2004 07:09 pm, nestu wrote:
> Dennis Veatch wrote:
> > Install the stuff.
> >
> > Then did lunar rebuild.
> >
> > I see that ppp stuff still isn't corrected. Lunar rebuild and did not
> > choose to rebuild the network stuff (after settting up the lan stuff) and
> > ppp is the default instead of the lan.
> >
> > What was it that needed editing to fix this, I forget.
>
> Hello, Dennis
> I am a little confused by your mail. Is this about ppp and
> lan mail, or Sexyboy iso? Personally, I can only answer iso
> questions. I have absolutely no idea what you are talking
> about. Doesn't seem a iso problem to me, more like a
> coretools or a module problem (if such). Could you explain a
> little further?
> TIA,
> nestu ;)

Sorry, was distracted while writing that.

Fresh install.

Then did lin moonbase and lin lunar. Then did lunar to configure dowload
sources, optimizations, etc.

Logged out.

Went back in then did a lunar rebuild. Went with the defaults that are asked
by perl, etc and specifically said no to reconfigure network (as it was
already working fine).

After the rebuild, rebooted to run 2.6.7 kernel. Logged back in and tried
lunar update. Got an error about no /dev/modem, that is to say ppp was trying
run. Dunno why because I did not reconfigure the network during the rebuild.

Did an ifconfig, only thing shown was lo, no eth0. Tried netstat -rn, showed
nothing for lo, eth0 or gateway. Rebooted.

Went back in and ifconfig still showed only lo. Ran 'ifconfig eth0 192.168.1.9
netmask 255.255.255.0' and 'route add default gw 192.168.1.10'. Ifconfig now
showed the correct entries and route -rn now showed the correct entries.

It appears /etc/init.d/network is not being run on bootup and starting it
manually only loads the NIC driver. The gateway and routes are not setup up.

I had to rerun chkconfig to turn on the network. Reboot and now all is as
should be.

I think the point is, the rebuild process should check the status of services
that are running and not turn them off after the rebuild is complete. Having
them turned off by default after an initial lin is fine but after wards they
should be left as they were before a lin or rebuild.