cannot compile ORBit-0.5.17

Mike Mandel mandel at stud.fh-hannover.de
Sun Jan 11 04:41:25 GMT 2004

On Sat, 10 Jan 2004 13:54:26 -0600
Terry Chan <tpchan at comcast.net> wrote:

> Mike,
>
> Try changing these settings from the "lunar optimize" menus:
>
> Use -O2, Faster.  NOT -O3 Fastest.
> Floating point math, BOTH, you have SSE and 387 on a P3, NOT juse SSE.
> On the "Make - parallelizing menu, Enter the number of concurrent makes
>   make sure you leave that box empty, NOT 1.
>
> Other than those tips, I can't see much else you can try to fix your
> compile problem with ORBit.
>
> The illegal instruction in your compile log is a result of some binary
> being used during the compile process that is really trying to execute
> a CPU instruction that your processor can NOT deal with.
>
> As a last resort if none of the above helps your compile you'll have
> to try "lunar optimize" and change the x86 CPU selection from P3 down
> to I686 and then compile again.
>
> Also would you please include the results of:
>
> cat /proc/cpuinfo
>
> in your next email?  Thanks.
>
> Terry Chan

Hi Terry!

None of your tips worked.

Here is the output of cat /proc/cpuinfo

processor	: 0
vendor_id	: GenuineIntel
cpu family	: 6
model		: 7
model name	: Pentium III (Katmai)
stepping	: 2
cpu MHz		: 451.080
cache size	: 512 KB
fdiv_bug	: no
hlt_bug		: no
f00f_bug	: no
coma_bug	: no
fpu		: yes
fpu_exception	: yes
cpuid level	: 2
wp		: yes
flags		: fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 mmx fxsr sse
bogomips	: 890.88

Think I have to rebuild the system.
What compiler flags do you have or would you suggest to build a stable and fast system?
I have read that gcc and glibc behave badly with some compiler flags.
Maybe it helps if I first rebuild only those one?

Thanks!

Mike