sylpheed strange behaviour

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sun Feb 29 21:39:49 GMT 2004

Mike Mandel wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have some problems with sylpheed.
>
> If I add an icon to the panel of XFCE4, and click on it, sylpheed starts and everything
> works fine.
> But when i try to start sylpheed via xterm i get this and sylpheed won´t start:

if your xterm starts up with a prompt that loks like:

bash-2.06b$_

you are running a non-interactive shell. Either you tell your xfce4 to
run 'xterm -ls', or add

XTerm*loginShell: true

to your .Xdefaults, or make a .bashrc that does something like this:

if [ -n "$TERM" ] ; then
   . .bash_profile
fi

all 3 solutions will make your plain jane xterm bahave like a login
shell. I actually use all of the above, it works wonderfully with
konsole that refuses to believe that it should run an interactive shell,
as well as gnome-terminal etc.

once your terminal starts up as an interactive shell, you will get all
the needed shell-settings from the profile.c structure that you need.

[TODO: file to FAQ ?]

sofar