OpenOffice-bin Installer can't connect to X-server

Carl R. Powers powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil
Tue Feb 3 19:36:02 GMT 2004

To All,

Thanks, guys.  At least I know now how it's SUPPOSED to work.  Howver,
it didn't, but I do now have openoffice-bin installed using lunar.

I am using the latest stable gnome 2 in moonbase with the metacity window
manager.  Don't know which part of it was causing the problem, but here's
what I did to get around it.  First, I ran "init 3" to kill X, then ran
"startx"
which, with no other configuration, gave me X with twm.  I then ran
"lin -cr openoffice-bin"  (I've uncommented the j2sdk line in DEPENDS),
and it worked like it was supposed to.  I did the "xhost +localhost" in
another
xterm when prompetd, just to be on the safe side, but should not have had to
since I was logged in and running as root.

Anyway, thanks again for the advice.  Normally, that should have worked.

Carl Powers
<powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil><powers at copper.net>