libpng warning

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Mon Aug 9 09:35:59 GMT 2004

Some people didn't believe me last week when I said that a libpng
upgrade ( to the version with the security patches ) broke my box:

root at joule21 /usr/include # nm /usr/lib/libpng12.so | grep gcov
         U __gcov_init
         U __gcov_merge_add

These two symbols are left undefined on my box with gcc-3.4.1... hence
everything that uses libpng will either malfunction (I had no icons
whatsoever anymore) or not compile (gtk+-2 etc).

Apparently on the gcc ML there are several patches merged regarding
this. For now it means that people on gcc >> 3.4.0 should use caution
when patching libpng or wait until I find a fix that will work with gcc
 >> 3.4.0

sofar