Quick HowTo for changing the default boot logo to a nice lunar logo

Mike Mandel mandel at stud.fh-hannover.de
Thu Apr 22 00:20:02 GMT 2004

Hello!

Inspired from an article of the German computer magazine c´t, which was
among other things, about how to change the boot logo, i´ve created a
new boot logo.

Here is what I´ve done:

1.)I have copied the Lunar Logo from website, added a white
background and reduced the number of colors to 224, which is the max number of colors
the kernel can handle.

2.)Then i have converted the image with the netpbm tools.

pngtopnm logo.png | pnmtoplainpnm > logo_linux_clut224.ppm

3.)cp logo_linux_clut224.ppm /usr/src/linux/drivers/video/logo/

4.)configure the kernel:

    Device Drivers --->Graphics Support [*] Support for frame buffer devices
                                                             [*] VESA VGA graphics support
                                                             Console display driver support --->[*] Video mode selection support
                                                                                                                    <*>Framebuffer Console support
                                                                                                                     [*]Select compiled-in fonts
                                                                                                                     [*]VGA 8x16 font
                                                              Logo configuration--->[*]Bootup logo
                                                                                                 [*] Standard 224-color Linux logo

and compile

5.)append 'vga=0x318' to menu.lst (assuming you have grub as bootloader)

and reboot!

Now you should have a nice Lunar Logo instead of the boring Tux  ;-)

If you want to give it a try, I have attached the logo so just begin with step 3.
(But don´t forget to bunzip2 the file)

**IMPORTANT: THIS WORKS ONLY WITH a 2.6.x KERNEL**

If you a interested for this with a 2.4.x kernel please let me know it and I can
look again at the magazine but I can´t test it.
(I Don´t use the kernel 2.4.x anymore)

Tell me what you think about it!

Mike