connection-speed throttled?

Auke Kok sofar at lunar-linux.org
Sun Apr 11 16:29:23 GMT 2004

Hendrik Visage wrote:
> I don't know what www.lunar-linux.org's OS/distro is, again it sounded to
> me like the person was complaining about www.lunar-linux.org and not about the
> lunar-linux installation.

more in depth:

it (www.lunar-linux.org) is connected to whatever pipe it has with a
100mbit card. The 100mbit card is hardly saturated, only when xfce.org
(also hosted on the same server) is in the news and people massively
want to see the screenshots (which of course are very cool).

Last time that happened is about 2 months ago, after which we quickly
migrated/redirected the screenshots away from the main site. However,
the ISP seems to max out roughly at 250 kilobyte per second, sometimes
peaking to 500 kilobyte per second.

Note that almost never have I seen the server serve this many kilobytes
per second continuously.

conclusion: it's not the machine www.lunar-linux.org that limits your
download, therefore it must be some component between
www.lunar-linux.org and your host. Still we're talking about much more
bandwidth available then most people have at home with DSL.

Please note my previous posting about nl.'s mirror, which also applies
to all other mirrors (although bandwidth is greatly different to those).

sofar