connection-speed throttled?

Remco Lubbers rpl at concepts.nl
Sun Apr 11 12:09:04 GMT 2004

Op Sun, 11 Apr 2004 00:25:47 +0200 schreef Auke Kok aan Remco Lubbers
<rpl at concepts.nl>,Lunar general discussion list <lunar at lunar-linux.org>:

>Remco Lubbers wrote:
> > I'm really in the mist here!
> > The only client that can get a "full-open" connection is the server itself ....
> > ???
> > I've really checked just about everything, even tried various
> > kernelcompilations.
> >
> > I'll try setting setting speedlimits */higher/* than the current one through
> > shorewall, see if that helps. I'll have to recompile my kernel to have QoS
> > first ....
> >
> > But something is limiting my speeds and it's not the hardware AFAICT :-(
>
> Like I said, Lunar-linux in NO POSSIBLE CONFIGURATION will limit your
> up- or down-load bandwidth usage unless you have SPECIFICALLY told it to
> do so yourself

Right, */BUT/* I am _V_E_R_Y sure that I */_DID_NOT_/* set any limits to up or
download speeds! It's a matter of fact that I don't even have the possibility
compiled into my active kernel!

> (excuse me for being ultra-short/rude/clear on this, but otherwise we
> get misunderstandings about this and it makes both your life and ours
> harder)

As I said in the other mail: I'm not trying to complicate things, but I would
like to know where this problem comes from. Could very well be, that it is my
wrongdoing, but I'd like to know then, what I did, because it will have to be
something that happened without my choosing to do so consiously.

I'd like to use Lunar on the servers I have to take care of, but speed is a
very important thing on those servers. I'm not too happy about this either,
because I've put a lot of work in getting Lunar Remco-ready, writing scripts
and making config-files....

> if you want to check what bandwidth limit lunar uses *INTERNALLY* ITSELF
> for download sources, issue the following command (in theedge:)
> lunar set DOWNLOAD_RATE
> this value will be *empty* by _default_ unless you change it. it also
> does not affect ANY OTHER PROGRAM AT ALL.

I'll try this this afternoon. Have to go now.
Haven't used it before though....

> hope this helps... please check your shorewall as I think it makes your
> life more complicated than you want to... perhaps you should get rid of
> it and get a real firewall anyway ;^)

I like shorewall because of it's configureability!
And I have tried disabling it:
<command>
root at server1 ~ # shorewall stop
Processing /etc/shorewall/params ...
Processing /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf...
Stopping Shorewall...Processing /etc/shorewall/stop ...
IP Forwarding Disabled!
Processing /etc/shorewall/stopped ...
done.
root at server1 ~ # shorewall clear
Processing /etc/shorewall/params ...
Processing /etc/shorewall/shorewall.conf...
Clearing Shorewall...Processing /etc/shorewall/stop ...
IP Forwarding Disabled!
Processing /etc/shorewall/stopped ...
done.
root at server1 ~ # iptables --list
Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target	   prot opt source		 destination

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT)
target	   prot opt source		 destination

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
target	   prot opt source		 destination
</command>
but that doesn't make ANY difference! Nor does removing it.

> sorry for all the caps!

NoPro!

I hope you can point me in the roght direction here.

Remco

--
Remco P. Lubbers (rpl at concepts.nl)
| Linux kernel 2.4.25 | Lunar 1.4.0 | XFce 4.0.4 | Pronto! 2.4.0 |