Problem with Lunar Update and Wget

Sébastien Cérèze scereze at yahoo.fr
Wed Sep 17 23:11:05 GMT 2003

"Carl R. Powers" <powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil> wrote:Sebastien,

Thank you so very much for posting my email. Hopefully someone
will provide a solution to our mutual problem.

I don't like to impose on people for something I should be able to do
myself so I appreciate your kindness. I have provided a description
of another problem in hopes you might post that as well. Thanks again.
Until this is fixed I will have to do individual manual updates of all large
modules.

Problem with Lunar Update and Wget:

During a Lunar Update, Lunar fails to detect a currently running wget
for a module and spawns a second wget when it is ready to install that
module. Both processes continue running, writing (apparently) to
the same file in /tmp. The result can be a corrupt download, failed
install,
and frustration. At best, it will automatically repeat the download and
complete sucessfully. This has been happening since about 1 September.

e.g. Currently updating epiphany, gnome-utils2, nfs-utils, openssh,
and gnumeric2. The last 3 required new downloads. The first 4 com-
pleted sucessfully and a wget for gnumeric2 was in progress when the
first 4 completed. Lunar started a new wget for gnumeric2, displaying
the progress for it, leaving the first wget still running. The size shown
for the second wget was always quite different from what was in /tmp.

The second wget finished and claimed to have saved the right size file,
although the archive in /tmp was over 50% larger. Nothing appeared
in /var/spool/lunar, the file in /tmp was gone, and so were both wget
processes. A new wget was automatically started, hopefully at the
beginning of the file, but did not write anything to the screen.

The third wget finished sucessfully and saved the archive to disk, so
it's only taken about 2.5 times as long as it should. On a fast broadband
connection this problem might never be noticed but on a slow modem
connection it's a killer. Hopefully there is an easy fix.

Carl Powers (powers at trac.wsmr.army.mil / powers at copper.net)

Sebastien Cereze