RAID help

Hendrik Visage hvisage at envisage.co.za
Sat Sep 13 08:39:49 GMT 2003

On Fri, Sep 12, 2003 at 07:20:52PM -0600, Richard Pyne wrote:
> I am trying to set up a new system to run software RAID. I have read
> the HOWTO ( http://unthought.net/Software-RAID-HOWTO ) several times,
> but there are a few things I am still unsure of.
>
> Is it safe (possible) to boot with /boot on a RAID-5?

No
/boot should be either standalone or mirrored.
Remember that at boot time, there are no RAID drivers loaded in
LILO nor GRUB, so it have to be drives that can function on their own,
like mirror and standalone.

> How do I mark a drive (sda, the drive with the base Lunar
> installation) as failed in raidtab in order to make the base
> installed drive part of the RAID (as described in HOWTO section
> 4.12.2)?

check raidhotadd and friends. I don't believe it's possible in tha raidtab

> Can I use reiserfs on a RAID-5 device?

Yes

> How do I put the swap partition on a RAID-5 device since I can't mark
> the partition type?

mkswap /dev/md5
swapon -a /dev/md5
(Assuming md5 is the RAID5 swap partition)
Advise: stay away from RAID5 for swap, rather mirrored drives.

Hendrik