/usr/src wget(blah) read-only file system

Dennis Veatch dveatch at woh.rr.com
Fri Sep 12 08:26:01 GMT 2003

On Friday 12 September 2003 06:16 am, Ronald Varnum wrote:
> The reason those directories are left in /usr/src is because there was a
> problem while compiling them and so they did not complete.  You need to lin
> those again.

There in lies the problem. Tried unmounting /usr/src/wget-1.8.2, said it
wasn't mounted. Followed that by rm -rf /usr/src/wget-1.8.2 and said no
because its read-only. So if I try relining wget (for example) there are a
bunch of errors about can't open blah because the file exists
(/usr/src/wget-1.8.2) and bombs out.

Right now as it stands. It seems every partition is read-only except /home.
The partition structure is:

# Virtual, memory only, or non physical file systems

proc    /proc           proc    defaults        0 0
devfs   /dev            devfs   defaults        0 0
#shm    /dev/shm        shm     defaults        0 0
#devpts /dev/pts        devpts  defaults        0 0
tmpfs   /var/lock       tmpfs   defaults,size=5m        0 0
tmpfs   /var/run        tmpfs   defaults,size=5m        0 0

# example of a "mount --bind"
#olddir /newdir         ext3    defaults,bind   0 0

# the below is for putting /tmp to tmpfs
#tmpfs  /tmp            tmpfs   defaults,size=256m,nr_inodes=64m        0 0

# for usb filesystem mounted under proc, uncomment below
usbdevfs  /proc/bus/usb   usbdevfs defaults       0 0

# Virtual memory swap file
#   If you need it then create it with the following commands
#     dd      if=/dev/zero of=/swapfile bs=1M count=1024
#     mkswap  /swapfile
#     chmod   000 /swapfile
#   Then uncomment the line below.
# /swapfile   none    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/discs/disc1/part1  /home   jfs     defaults        0 0
/dev/discs/disc0/part7  /var    jfs     defaults        0 0
/dev/discs/disc0/part5  /boot   ext2    defaults,noatime        0 2
/dev/discs/disc0/part1  none    swap    defaults        0 0
/dev/discs/disc0/part6  /       jfs     defaults        0 0

--
Registered Linux user 193414
http://counter.li.org

"Trying"? My contribution was much closer to a "feeble wave in the general
direction of something that might lead you one step closer to a solution
if you squint really hard and do all of the work."