Kernel 2.4.22 locking up on boot......

Ralph Crongeyer rcrongeyer at rpicc.com
Wed Nov 19 14:57:36 GMT 2003

Thanks Terry.

I unselected the RTC and I'm recompiling now......

On Wednesday 19 November 2003 02:30 pm, Terry Chan wrote:
> The short answer: "don't do that".
>
> Why are you enabling the RTC in your kernel if you don't know what it is
> used for?

All I did was "clt & alt F1" then "init 3" "lunar" and selected "Module ->
Update". I diden't even reconfigure the kernel. So that means that it was
working on my 2.4.20 kernel, since it uses "oldconfig" before compiling the
new kernel.

> In your "make menuconfig" step of compiling your kernel (answer Yes to
> reconfigure optional in "lin linux") and under "Character device", choose
> "N" to "Enhanced Real Time Clock Support".
>
> Finishe the kernel configuration and then your new kernel will NOT try to
> load the Real Time Clock Driver.
>
> The RTC works on most x86 motherboards that I've ever seen or used.

Yea, I know that I 've never seen this issue on this laptop before??