Kernel 2.4.22 locking up on boot......

Terry Chan tpchan at comcast.net
Wed Nov 19 13:30:59 GMT 2003

The short answer: "don't do that".

Why are you enabling the RTC in your kernel if you don't know what it is used for?

In your "make menuconfig" step of compiling your kernel (answer Yes to
reconfigure optional in "lin linux") and under "Character device", choose "N"
to "Enhanced Real Time Clock Support".

Finishe the kernel configuration and then your new kernel will NOT try to load
the Real Time Clock Driver.

The RTC works on most x86 motherboards that I've ever seen or used.

Terry Chan