Recovery

Terry Chan tpchan at attbi.com
Mon May 19 09:50:37 GMT 2003

Couannette,

"lunar rebuild" has NEVER had the required logic to rebuild a system in
the correct order, especially in the case of a user selecting silly over
optimizations and then falling into the glibc, gcc, coreutils, binutils
trap.

A few of the lunar devs have always told people DON'T rely on lunar
rebuild unless you really know what you are doing with your lunar box.

Suggestions such as critical modules including a regression test, aren't
as useful as submitting patched or working code that implements what you
desire.

Again, only use the optimizations that you really understand the
consequences of.  A system running for a while with some compiler
optimizations used and only part of your system recompiled is not an
indicator that those optimizations are really safe.

Lunar devs are divided on removing all the dangerous compiler optimizations
vs. letting all the users do whatever they want to their lunar boxes.
Currently we let users do whatever they want to their lunar boxes in terms
of choosing compiler optimizations.  Then the inevitable emails show
up saying my lunar box is broken with such and such optimization settings.

Terry Chan