Recovery

Couannette couannette at free.fr
Mon May 19 16:24:03 GMT 2003

Hi all,

a few days ago my Lunar Linux was in bad shape and can't build modules
like kernel or glibc.

I think I started an update & rebuild that broke gcc and standard
include files.
I recovered thanks to Florin that built for me gcc & glibc.

Perhaps this problem is linked to the famous gettext trouble that's
annoyed a lot of LL users recently, perhaps it's coming from an strange
mis relin of gcc that delete or corrupted its internal includes (look in
/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i686-pc-linux-gnu/3.2.3/include/). In fact the DETAILS
file of gcc changed recently and I suspect this one.

Everyone agree that gcc is the most important module in a source
distribution. It seems that recent versions have to be in sync with
glibc (there is a patch in gcc/DETAILS that handles this case). And a
simple update of Lunar does not handle such critical rebuild (check and
order).

I've selected optimization options when I started to use LL in november
and my system worked fine until recently ; but I discovered that build
error where partialy due by incorrect make/tar/find behaviour. Thus
after I repaired gcc & glibc, I rebuilt coreutils, tar, findutils and
make with no option selected in SPD. And now all is working normally.

I would suggest that relin of critical modules (make, gcc, glibc)
includes a "make check" or some regression test before installing so
that the building environment be protected against miss compiled modules.

Couannette