gettext finals

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Sun May 4 19:13:19 GMT 2003

Hi all,

I've been around doing some horrible messy work with gettext, and
finally, finally I've come up with a situation that wel all can move on
from to whatever comes.

First an apology for having this issue, some of you will have noticed
one or two apps still didn't compile with gettext-related problems.
These are all due to the fact that libc already contains the sybols most
gettext-using programs want.

Having libintl.so around poses a problem. First we don't want it anymore
and second we need it until all apps that link against it are
recompiled.

Therefore I've bumped the UPDATED field of gettext and made sure
libintl.so is *NOT* removed after update. The new gettext copy will
*NOT* overwrite libintl.so, and therefore all apps will still work, and
new apps will no longer link to it.

Those of you with time on your hand can do a full rebuild, after which
you may remove the libintl.so files in /usr/lib. If you don't care just
leave them around, they don't harm the system.

If you wanna see how bad your system breaks copy them to your root or
something so you can recover by doing a "export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/". This
is also a good test to see what module link against it.

As a side note, I'm trying to figure out how I can check whatever module
links to libintl.so (or any other for that matter), but checking
manually with ldd works for now...

sofar

--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>