Problem compiling xfree86

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at moongroup.com
Wed Mar 26 15:35:31 GMT 2003

On Wed, 26 Mar 2003 16:16:56 +0200
Grigorios Prasinos <green at ceid.upatras.gr> wrote:

> However I do not like the idea of having a 10gb partition for lunar.
> I can run a Mandrake installation with gnome etc. in under 2gb. I
> though that lunar, by being a lean and efficient distro could live on
> less space.

Lunar is very optimized for your system, because everything is compiled
from source. One thing it can never be is space efficient. A binary
distribution will always require less space.

Just imagine a mozilla build. At some time during the build process you
will have on your disk the sources, which in itself are larger then the
binary package, the built object files, the linked binaries, the
installed binaries and the tar archive of the installed files.

I can't say I'm surprised Lunar needs more disk space than a binary
distribution ;-)

	Jasper