mount script woes...

Hendrik Visage hvisage at envisage.co.za
Fri Mar 14 16:15:38 GMT 2003

On Fri, Mar 14, 2003 at 02:59:10PM +0200, Hendrik Visage wrote:
> Hi there,
>
>  I've been trying to get the mount script to be able to mount
> LVM volumes. It appears that LVM first need to do a vgscan/vgchange
> with the condition that
>  1) devfs is up
>  2) /etc in writable
   3) Also needs /proc already mounted.

> Only then can you start to vgscan/etc. and get them to fsck and mount
> the drives.

piece of advice:

 Change the mount script to do the minimal /, /proc, /dev (and perhaps /var/adm)
Typically a minimal_mount as S09minimal_mount
 Then provide it a hook for LVM, EVMS, md (raid0 start), etc. to fire up
all extra stuff that's needed (Perhaps even the TCP/IP networking etc.)
Typically this would be S10-S12
 Then do the full fsck+mount etc.once all the devices settled.

 Doing this, would be less pain for several other things (And besides,
looking at the methods employed by other commercial Un*xen, it's the
same principle) and I believe this device mapper would work in a
similar method.

> At present I'm lost as to where what happens in the mount script.

What I've found is that /,/proc,/dev,/usr,/lvm,/evms,/md0raid all gets mounted
fscked in the same pass, which do create a problem with at least lvm and
the md raid0 start programs :(

Hendrik