Sound question?

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Thu Mar 13 00:21:13 GMT 2003

Hi,

alsa is never needed, and tho people like it a lot, OSS is simple and
works good enough for most people.

Therefore a tip for OSS users:

* most audio cards reset at boot and put something like 66% for all
volume levels. This can be quite soft for most speaker setups and
laptops. A solution is to increase the "Vol" or master volume at boot.

* A simple 1-file program is cmix: "lin cmix" . cmix can store mixer
levels in a file and restore them. Adding cmix to /etc/init.d/bootmisc
with the proper mixer settings file will result in nice, consistent
volume levels after boot. Alternatively, just call cmix to set the
master volume: "cmix vol 90".

sofar

Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>