optimizations

Aaron Watry watryac04 at uww.edu
Wed Jun 25 14:32:39 GMT 2003

This has gotten me thinking.  Why do we not build into each module a
line, or several, to take care of known broken optimizations, features,
and architectures?

Something along the lines of an optional line in the DETAILS file for a
module:

$NONWORKING_SPD=Speedy Profiling

Then when you go and define the $SPD variable from
/var/lib/lunar/functions/optimize.lunar, read in this variable and do a
substitution. Forgive me please, I am terrible with shell programming,
so this will be pseudo-perl:

foreach $BADSPD (@NONWORKING_SPD){
	$SPD =~ s/$BADSPD//;
	$SPD =~ s/  / /; #to clean up any spaces, assuming this is still 			 #a
string.
}

If the $SPD variable is not still a string at this point, which I'm not
sure about, you'd have to change it a little, but i think my point is
there fairly clearly.  We have several optimizations which we know don't
work, as well as some architectures that don't work with certain
programs (e.g. P4 + mozilla).  Why don't we correct for this on the
module level when we know that there is a problem that exists?  Keep in
mind that for non-working architectures, we'd have to supply a
substitute cpu-type (i686 instead of p4), and in the case of SSE2 not
working on something, we could do the same as the SPD example above, I
believe.

Well, it's just a thought. If the devs think it's good enough to
include, great.  If not, no biggie.

-Aaron Watry