enabling/disabling features (Was Re: RE Questions with Auke Kok)

Couannette couannette at free.fr
Wed Jul 2 16:33:02 GMT 2003

Nick Hudson wrote:

>>the optional_depends can set configure options ...
>>

>>>The main reason for building apps with little (minimal) library binds
>>>is that UNIX/Linux systems tend to be more and more complex. And
>>>complexity leads to headaches when something goes wrong. A more
>>>complex system is more subject to failure than a simple one. Take a
>>>look at rescent major anoyment in Linux software :
>>>
>>>- freetype / XFree / fontconfig / pango / ghostscript and friends ...
>>>- gdk / imlib / gtk / gnome libs (ui & all) and all gnome2 stuff ...
>>>- gettext / glibc ...
>>>
>>>Beware : I don't want everything to be choosen in lin stage. It would
>>>be more difficult to use lunar. A common set of dependencies could be
>>>defined (at the moment : it's implemented in "depends and
>>>optional_depends" system), and a complete list of depends could be
>>>accessible to tune special module &/or tree of modules (hierarchy of
>>>modules that provides a system like gnome/kde/xfce/...).
>>>

>I dont get this either, one specificly depends on the other.  Yes you
>can compile xfree86 without freetype2 support thats why we give you the
>option.  As for the rest it sounds to me like you wanna have
>optional_depends for everything, Like take the module gnome-desktop for
>example, wanna because to compile it with or without gtk2 support?
>Thats impossible, because it specifily depends on it.  The current way
>of doing the deps isnt the end all and yes it can be worked on and it
>will get better once Lunar2 starts some major development.  But as for
>this right now I really dont understand what you are getting at, sounds
>like you want to make optional depends for everything when it really
>specificly depends on something?
>
>Nick

Off topic : that was not my intention to study dependencies in this
case. Just to give an example of a complex system. ;-)

In topic : Not all dependencies can become "optional". I agree. Simply
because theses deps are required for proper function. But I'm thinking
about optional ones : dependencies that add a feature or add support for
optional things...

Optional dependencies everty time its possible, i.e. when such software
isn't necessary, when it's possible to have another dep that make the
same thing, etc...

Couannette