enabling/disabling features (Was Re: RE Questions with Auke Kok)

Jasper Huijsmans jasper at lunar-linux.org
Wed Jul 2 10:09:07 GMT 2003

On Wed, 02 Jul 2003 09:52:08 +0200
Couannette <couannette at free.fr> wrote:

> Hey,
> we understand eo !
> Just : in much cases you would select an optional dependency and lin
> just install the dependency for you.

If you say yes to an optional depends you'd want to use it, right? If
you don't want to use it, you say no ... Lin doesn't uninstall modules
if you say no to an optional depends.

> You don't have a mecanism for systematicaly choose
> --enable-foo/--disable-foo. I mean a way to bypass autodetection of
> software previously installed at configure time. IHM a small matrix
> for each enable/disable would be a greate improvement.

if a package allows these configure options, there should be optional
depends to allow this choice.

> Example : I've installed alsa-* stuff. But I decided to use OSS
> emulation. Now I use OSS kernel driver and I don't want anymore
> applications be linked against alsa-*. I've no way to specify this.
> (Btw I can't uninstall alsa-* because it's required by some apps.)

All packages that can link to either alsa or oss should have an optional
depends on alsa.

> You follow my thinking ?

I'm not sure, do my answers make sense to you? ;-)