a few questions after installation

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Thu Jan 16 22:40:59 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-01-16 at 22:30, Andix66 at aol.com wrote:
> hello,
>
> i think most of work is done, but q few questions remain.
> 1) the optimisation i have choosen is " O2". when i install perl as it
> is recommended i meant to see " O3". can this be correct ?

some packages even force other optimizations without the user bein able
to change this unfortunately. -O3 is generally considered safe however.
I myself like to use -O2 in some situations still.

> 2)i first installed kernel 2.4.19, then 2..4.20 and i can choose
> between them.
> but installing xfree86 i got a problem.
> a message like the following one appears " dri  in kernel  2.4.19 is
> not compatible with dri in xfree. please disable it in xfree and
> enable in in the linux kernel"...
> hmmm..but 2 questions appear.
> when in got this message...i booted from kernel 2.4.20 and not from
> 2.4.19.

The message will be displayed no matter which version of the kernel you
have booted. It is to inform you there are problems with the kernel dri
stuff and the xfree86 module

> and  the other question is: when i enable the dri-options in the
> kernel...i have to choose an appropriate chip-set.
> but first of all, my gforce  does not appear there ( only matrox,
> intel, ati and 3dfx appears there). and as a second point, visiting
> the web-site of xfree-project, there ist written the opposite way of
> doing it.

NVidia has their dri drivers in a separate module since their drivers
are NOT OPEN SOURCE. wasn't it nvdriver? go look!

> there you can read " disable dri (in linux kernel) since we will use
> the code from the xfree86 tree and compile it there".
> what is right? enabling dri in the linux kernel and disabling it in
> xfree..as lunar installation says.  or the other way round disabling
> dri in the kernel and enabling it in in xtfree as it is written on
> their website.

both seem to work in some cases. the kernel radeon dri driver is nice,
but you still need the xfree drm (or was it the other way around).

for nvidia I suggest disabling the kernel options and installing the
nvdriver modules, they are what you prolly want. the xfree86 ones are
nice too and open source, but not written by nvidia itself.

anyone more info?

sofar

--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>