new2lunar

Tom Nicholson tomn at antelecom.net
Tue Feb 25 16:51:26 GMT 2003

> If you're really set on using floppies instead of adding linux
> to ntldr/boot.ini or putting grub (or lilo) in the MBR,
> look at http://syslinux.zytor.com/faq.php

Thanks for the tip. Interesting possibility. I
may try Syslinux. Lilo under suse linux will
boot a floppy. It's fairly fast because
there's nothing on the floppy but a 1 sector
mbr that hands off to the kernel residing
on the linux partition (vs Syslinux which
seems to want a kernel on the floppy). And
very safe for other non-Linux os.

I could be wrong about these details
because it's been a while since I looked,
but
I believe that I'm correct. This is what I
was hoping to accomplish on Lunar
but don't know how to create the boot
floppy mbr and lilo config. I'll have to look
 into more Lilo details and any other setup
tools Lunar offers.

BTW, I tried an install from iso and things
went pretty well as far as I could tell. I
wouldn't let it write an mbr anywhere
because I wasn't sure what the correct
Linux name for my partition should be or
how to refer to it. It's the 2nd hard disk so
it's /dev/hdb, right? And there's a FAT32
partition first so my ext2 partition would be
hdb1??

Anyway because of the uncertainty, I didn't
let it write mbr. I've deleted the Lunar
partition with partition magic and will try
again later because I want to learn the
Linux boot process.

Thanks again,
Tom