new2lunar

Tom Nicholson tomn at antelecom.net
Tue Feb 25 14:08:02 GMT 2003

Hi, I'd like to install Lunar to a hard disk partition and have it boot from a
boot floppy (i.e., not write mbr to any hard disk). I looked at the
instructions on installing from a non-cdrom system and it's interesting but
I don't think I'm expert enough to 'get' the significance of everything the
author is saying.

My system has
primary e-ide controller: master, 40 gig NTFS; slave 15 gig as 2
partitions 8 gig FAT32; 7 gig unallocated.

secondary ide controller: master Pioneer DVR-104; slave CDWRITER
3212.

Rest of system is 1 gig ram, Athlon 1800XP; nVidia nforce chipset MSI
motherboard.

Any help / tips appreciated. I know I'm in for an experience getting
networking going because nVidia keeps the specs to its network adapter
proprietary and won't let the gpl community have it. They provide a built
module nvnet.o. Also what to do with xfree? is there a framebuffer driver
like in suse? or go to nvidia's geforce2 driver.

I'm really impressed with the concepts behind Lunar. I found it while
looking about the net trying to decide if I wanted to build a Debian
system or try a Linux from Scratch. I've tried major distros and want to
move away from them because they're aiming more at IT depts for their
economic survival than desktops.

Thanks,
Tom