Database of Compilations

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Thu Feb 20 21:49:24 GMT 2003

On Thu, 2003-02-20 at 21:09, Kenny Mann wrote:
> I know this idea may be something far fetched and the
> developes resources may be too limited to do this but
> oh well, I'll suggest it. If someone (I might start
> doing this maybe) wants to take it up it's just an
> idea.
>
> What about having a database that has each program we
> have and suggestion optimzations or known problematic
> opts? or known successfull opts with sytem x?

optimizations tracking for problems is something that the gcc group
should keep track of, however, is a feature we've been planning already:

a lunar "bug buddy"

this will allow anyone to quickly submit compile logs together with a
few important settings (optimizations, gcc flags, a few local params) to
give us instant feedback when a compile fails.

As more people start to give feedback we can make nice graphs about
causes etc and tune some more stuff, and everyone will be able to browse
the data we gather from this.

As a sidenote, we need to add a privacy policy to our website, heh.

How we will file the compile logs is another matter we haven't thought
about. Maybe we will need a person who can manually file the submitted
logs somehow, and gather the information from it. Maybe we just stock
them up per module/version.

ideas welcome!

sofar

--