Aggressive Kernel

Keith Adney groundrush at cogeco.ca
Wed Feb 19 15:28:37 GMT 2003

Rick -

> you run lilo in one of them
> only! lets say you choose to run lilo in mandrake,
> in mandrakes /etc/lilo.conf you have to add an entry
> for lunar ... IMPORTANT
> at the time lilo is run it has to find the lunar kernel

I figured it was something like that. That is weird that I'll have
to immediately reboot into Mandrake to rerun LILOafter updating
lunar, but if it works...

> image=/mnt/lunar/boot/vmlinuz
> 	label="lunar"
> 	root=/dev/hd**
> 	initrd=/mnt/lunar/boot/initrd.img
> 	read-only

Thanks for the instructions and syntax. I'd likely have spent
quite a while figuring out the /mnt/lunar part...BTW you said
to "mount" it - you mean I need to have it mounted when I
run LILO, right?

> I'd perhaps advise you to consider using GRUB,
> especially as GRUB doesn't need the kernel's location
> to be updated after every recompile etc.

I wondered if it might be a better solution, although I wasn't
sure why. ;) Thanks and I see your point. I used GRUB once
with a distro that required it for dual-booting w/Windoze - it
was a little cryptic but nothing too bad.

> Grub have a bit of a tight/troublesome learning curve, but in
> this type of configuration, it might just save your butt a few
> times ;^)

Thanks, Hendrik. Point well taken.

Blue Skies...Keith