Any interest in 64bit x86_64 port?

Mike Marion mmarion at miguelito.org
Thu Dec 18 14:07:21 GMT 2003

Quoting Terry Chan <tpchan at comcast.net>:

> devfs is SAFE to use in kernel 2.4.x and the Lunar ISOs have been using
> devfs on all the 2.4.x kernels we've supported including 2.4.20, 2.4.22,
> 2.4.23.

Someone else already replied to this, but to show you, the Config.in file in
linux/fs for 2.4.23 has:

# For some reason devfs corrupts memory badly on x86-64. Disable it
# for now.
if [ "$CONFIG_X86_64" != "y" ] ; then
dep_bool '/dev file system support (EXPERIMENTAL)' CONFIG_DEVFS_FS
$CONFIG_EXPERIMENTAL
dep_bool '  Automatically mount at boot' CONFIG_DEVFS_MOUNT $CONFIG_DEVFS_FS
dep_bool '  Debug devfs' CONFIG_DEVFS_DEBUG $CONFIG_DEVFS_FS
fi

I might play around with 2.6.0 tonight too... I like devfs and was used to it,
and moving back to old device names has been somewhat of an inconvenience.

> Some of the changes you mentioned have been incorporated into more recent
> lunar ISOs.  The latest testing ISO is available at
> http://www.lunar-linux.org/lunar/testing/lunar-20031210-1.iso.bz2.

Ah.. excellent.  It might just save time if I download that and put my 64bit
kernel/packages in there.

> You'll probably need to use a more recent iso and recompile and fix
> scripts again.  The 20031210-1 iso will eventually become the 1.3.3 iso.

I'll see if I can't do this today/tonight.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Staff Engineer-http://www.miguelito.org
"If the government were to set technology standards," said Richard Diamond, a