Any interest in 64bit x86_64 port?

Mike Marion mmarion at miguelito.org
Thu Dec 18 14:03:21 GMT 2003

Quoting Hendrik Visage <hvisage at envisage.co.za>:

> I however appears to need 2.6.0 for the hardware I'm using (MSI K8T Neo)
> with the NIC and SATA :(

I think I do too... promise SATA controller on asus mobo isn't seen on mine.

> Have you done a bi-architecture ie. 32 & 64bit GCC ala debian ??
> Would be usefull to also create 32bit libraries etc. for binary stuff
> that's not yet ported....

No.  I forgot to add that --disable-multilib was required to get glibc to
compile, at least for me.  I'd read several posts on the net talking about a
fix to get that working again, but it wasn't in the latest glibc in moonbase
yet.  Might be in a newer glibc, or perhaps dev version.

> Hmmmm not necesarily, as I'm running 4.3.0-r3 on a gentoo machine at
> present...

I only tried the stuff in the current moonbase, there might be another patch
included in gentoo that fixes the compile issues I had, but I didn't dig too
hard, just tried dev release and it worked.

> grub also have troubles. Gentoo still have/keep a grub-static around.

Yeah.. and bin86 (I got dev86 to build) and a few others too.. probably going
to be awhile before x86_64 really settles down as more and more poeple get the
hardware.  It's still very new compared to x86.  We bought a bunch of new
opteron systems at work for batch compute work, and just found that a fully
loaded host had to have ECC disabled in the bios to boot any kernel above
2.4.18 in any stable manner.  Something to do with memory interleaving, and
newish hooks in kernel to read ecc messages (I'm not sure on this, is the info
I got from vendor).  Without ECC disabled, 2.4.22 kernel would just
spontaneously reboot after about 2 pages worth of kernel dmesg output started.

> I could provide temporary space....

Ok.. just need to clean up a couple things and it should be completely ready.
 Probably later tonight.

> Hmmm... not a problem with 2.6.0 on Via K8T800 on my MSI.

The modules I listed either just crapped out on my kernel build (2.4.23) or
actually printed out that it wasn't safe... one of the aic7* modules printed
something along the lines of "This driver hasn't been tested on this platform"
and stopped the kernel build.

--
Mike Marion-Unix SysAdmin/Staff Engineer-http://www.miguelito.org
"If the government were to set technology standards," said Richard Diamond, a