Any interest in 64bit x86_64 port?

Hendrik Visage hvisage at envisage.co.za
Thu Dec 18 23:09:38 GMT 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 12:49:17PM -0800, Mike Marion wrote:
> Like Subj says... wondering if there's any interest in a lunar
> opteron/athlon64 port?

Yes.
> I did some modifications to the lunar.install script on the iso so that it
> makes /dev/discs links back to the real /dev/[s|h]d* devices since devfs isn't
> safe to use in the 2.4 kernel (don't know about 2.6 yet).   The change I did
> looks at dmesg output for the partition checks, so if you partition the disk,
> you'll have to reboot again to get the part links in the /dev/discs directory,
> but from there on it's the same as a 32bit host.

I however appears to need 2.6.0 for the hardware I'm using (MSI K8T Neo)
with the NIC and SATA :(

> Some moonbase changes I had to make were...
> glibc: Changed BUILD script to use /lib64 instead of /lib when it does the
> library replacements after a successful build.

Have you done a bi-architecture ie. 32 & 64bit GCC ala debian ??
Would be usefull to also create 32bit libraries etc. for binary stuff
that's not yet ported....

> xfree86: Had to build dev version 4.3.99.901 to get a working xfree, and found
> out the hard way that every library in it needs -fPIC flag, except for the
> font areas.. -fPIC breaks the font stuff.

Hmmmm not necesarily, as I'm running 4.3.0-r3 on a gentoo machine at present...

> A few things won't build 64bit at all... lilo being one important one, so my
> iso keeps the 32bit version and has the required 32bit libraries still
> installed in /lib.

grub also have troubles. Gentoo still have/keep a grub-static around.

> Hoping I can get my iso image online soon so anyone that wants to test can...
> can't just drop on my home box for fear of saturating my cable model uplink.

I could provide temporary space....

> I currently find that I have to build my kernel without any APIC support (word
> from an AMD tech we had at work recently is that the nforce3 chipset wrongly
> reports APIC ability), and several drivers disabled... aic7* drivers, IBM
k> ServeRAID and PCI hotplug.

Hmmm... not a problem with 2.6.0 on Via K8T800 on my MSI.

Hendrik