New 2.6.0 naming

Hendrik Visage hvisage at envisage.co.za
Thu Dec 18 21:34:49 GMT 2003

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 09:31:56AM -0500, elaine wrote:
> Keep the name, it's just a name, a rose by any other name
> still has thorns :-)

Whoa, you *are* pessimistic... but not as pessimistic/paranoid....

> On kernels, I'd like to see some experimentation with snapshots
> of glibc+nptl. NPTL was merged into glibc back in september and
> is probably getting close to release.

Which will be adding two (three??) unknowns into the picture,
ie. (1) kernel (2) fancy glibc (3) driver integration/porting (ala nVidia etc.)

> I think the right time to release a new 'stable' 2.6 kernel into
> moonbase is after we have a working & stable glibc+NPTL.

Make some sense, however, rather get people to get a stablish 2.6.x
working sooner rather than later, as (3) above is going to be fun, and
then you have the NPTL to content with too.... nVidia's drivers already
have fun with the nptl (afair)  and non-nptl versions....

So rather try and get the kernel at least running as best as possible, then
add the rest.

> my $0.02 US

That's alot if you calculate it to be 0.13 ZAR ;^) so
my 0.02 ZAR is: baby steps and start with the kernel and then evolve to
newer libc+++