[Lunar] Re: Lunar Installation Manual

Terry Chan tpchan at comcast.net
Sun Aug 3 19:48:08 GMT 2003

Drew,

Some comments on the lunar_install_manual.html:

1. Section 8, the concurrent Makes sentences.  Most users should leave
MAKES= blank. Do NOT put in 1, as this will not work correctly.  If you
have an SMP system OR are using distcc then you may use MAKES=2 or higher.

2. Section 7, Do NOT recommend to users reading the lunar_install_manual that
they use -O3.  That is a setting best left for advanced users only.  It takes
significantly longer to compile almost every module at -O3 and some will just
not work correctly at that setting anyways.  -O2 is the recommended
optimization for users desiring a speed boost that always works.

3. Section 7, also mention that they can "cat /proc/cpuinfo" to see their
available cpu flags.  Use this info to set the Floating Point Math options.
Most all users can set 387 and P3 or higher users can set MMX as well. Also
under the Optimize Extra flags, most users again can set MMX and some can
SSE, if listed in /proc/cpuinfo.

4. Section 11, is incorrect.  That option does NOT bork the Lunar install.
In most cases lunar is being installed to a hard drive that already has a
default boot loader so this step is usually not necessary.  For users that
are installing Lunar to a fresh, clean hard drive, then they can use this
step to write a boot loader into their hard drives MBR.  Lunar by default
writes Lilo into the boot partition, which is different that writing into
the MBR.

You might also want to mention that the Lunar ISO is also a bootable Rescue
Cdrom.  Most all the necessary tools required to fsck a hard drive, or
repartition a drive.  Also the "testdisk" binary is included on the iso
in /sbin.  See http://www.cgsecurity.org/index.html?testdisk.html for more
info.

Terry Chan