Snort Module

Auke Kok auke.kok at planet.nl
Tue Apr 1 23:45:38 GMT 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-01 at 21:28, Nick Hudson wrote:
> Does anyone know who hacked last on the snort module?  Its very badly broken and it rewrites your snort.conf file everytime you rebuild it.  Good thing is that it saves it to snort.conf.bk but if you compile it twice without knowing it was rewritten your snort.conf working file is gone.  I am going to attempt to get things back working correctly.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Nick

this could have happened with all the core updates lately, also I put
prepare_install in all the BUILD files (except kernel modules).

DO's and DON'Ts in BUILD files:

* DO put prepare_install in there

* DON'T even as much as touch a user-config file

* DO handle all user config files in POST_INSTALL

* DON'T ever overwrite a config file if it already exists

* DO use the () > $C_FIFO 2>&1 construct

* DON'T put stuff around or beside the () > $C_FIFO 2>&1 construct

if I need to explain any of these let me know... I spose they are clear
but in case it's not we could discuss them in here...

greetz!

sofar

PS nick: I'll take a look at snorts BUILD if I were you, it needs some
work...

--
Auke Kok <auke.kok at planet.nl>