Module site offline indefinitely

v4hn v4hn at lunar-linux.org
Mon Sep 9 22:59:03 CEST 2013

Hey Striker, good to hear from you!

On Mon, Sep 09, 2013 at 09:03:16AM -0500, Jon South wrote:
> I've taken the module site down as it's apparently too difficult to fix
> bugs before they're committed into moonbase.

At the moment we are trying out whether a "pull-requests only and nobody pulls his
own changes"-policy is feasible for the moonbase repos. I'm not sure how
this will turn out. You're invited to help test pull-requests - just pull
the changes, test them and either merge (if you got the authority)
or comment on github. At least this should highly reduce these problems.

> I think something needs to change in the core to detect these problems
> as some really bad typos slip through that should halt modules compiling entirely

see above

> The module site's cron job picks these up instantly...why do the core tools
> simply ignore errors in the DETAILS files?

In any case such a tool would come in handy. If anyone got the time to
implement this, please do so. This could either be mandatory to run on
the maintainer's machine before he files the pull-request or
be added as a hook directly for pull-requests/commits.

Some ideas for things to check I collected
over the years when fixing modules:

- Make sure SOURCE_VFY matches file at URL. (/matches a simple regex)
- Make sure MAINTAINER is an email adress if set
- Make sure ENTERED is <= UPDATED
- Make sure there is a SOURCEX_VFY/SOURCEX_URL for each SOURCE
- Make sure file permissions are correct
- uses "default_cmake_build", but doesn't depend on cmake
- depends on *.rar / *.zip but does not list the resp. dependency
- Make sure it does not use \t
- Check if URL is available
- Check if UPDATED is in the last 4 weeks/next week
- Check if DEPENDS contains other things then depends/optional_depends
- Check if CONFIGURE contains "without" statements in y parameter
- Check if MODULE already existed somewhere else if new
- Check if DEPENDS adds optional_depends without $2 / $3
- Check for `[ ] || do_stuff` constructs(these break &&)
- Check for OPTS= and OPTS+="-
- Check whether SOURCEX=$PATCH_URL are available on doppio
- Check if there is a /etc/lunar/local/depends/$MODULE file
  and warn for possibly unaccounted changes

v4hn