Fresh lunar install

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Sun May 19 22:35:25 CEST 2013

On Saturday 18 of May 2013 17:39:13 Jean-Michel Bruenn wrote:
> > vdpauinfo | grep string
> > Information string: NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library  319.17  Thu
> > Apr 25 21:07:58 PDT 2013
> >
> > vdpauinfo command comes from vdpauinfo module.
>
> wdp at vulkan ~ $ vdpauinfo | grep string
> Information string: NVIDIA VDPAU Driver Shared Library  319.17  Thu Apr
> 25 21:44:27 PDT 2013
>
> and i said "yes" to mesa-lib's vdpau. So it looks like it is safe to
> say yes. Can you verify that?

Looks good. But building mesa's vdpau and using nvidia driver together
makes no sense.

> > If you see something like this you use optimal nvidia's vdpau. If you
> > see something else like gallium or mesa the worse vdpau from mesa is
> > active.>
> > > Do we need the vdpau module at all in linux, if nvidia ships with
> > > it's
> > > own?
> >
> > Do not know vdpau module.
>
> I was refering to "libvdpau". I thought "nvidia" might provide that.

No. libvdpau is universal for every gpu driver - that is why it is
standalone. gpu driver package provides hw dependent part for vdpau.
Nvidia binary provides vdpau for geforces, S3 graphics has vdpau for its
chrome gpus. New opensource Radeon driver provides vdpau for radeons
because they understood that XvBA is dead. Finally mesa-lib has shader
accelerated vdpau. Intel has stated they are considering VDPAU.