Updating kernel and kernel headers ?

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Fri May 25 21:10:25 CEST 2012

> I just picked up the threads of updating a box after months,
> and ended up in a bit of a pickle because of the mismatch
> between the linux-2.6-stable and kernel-headers, and then
> with linux-stable and kernel-headers, which was only resolved
> when I moved to linux and kernel-headers.
>
> Now that linux has been bumped from 3.3.6 to 3.4 do we also
> need to have a similar update for kernel-headers?
>
> Isn't there a better/automatic way of keepin them synchronised?
>
> D.

Hi Duncan,

thanks for info. Unfortunately our kernels is complete mess now except
linux.
I use linux module everywhere and most folks too so no so much care for
older.
I will tonight try to clean it up. I would like to see our kernels in sync
with layout presented on kernel.org:

Lunar module: kernel.org naming:	lunar version:	kernel.org version:
linux			mainline			3.4				3.4
linux-stable		Latest Stable Kernel	3.1.10*			3.3.7
linux-unstable    stable				3.2.16*			3.2.18
linux-2.6-stable	stable				2.6.39.4*		2.6.35.13

*as you see on kernel.org 3.1.10 is marked as (EOL) so it should not be
used anymore as it is not maintained. I will correct it to 3.3.7.
*linux-unstable is simply lie. I will rename it to linux-old-stable and
update to 3.2.18 We should not keep unstable kernels in distro.
*2.6.39.4 never should be set as 2.6-stable because it was development
version of 3.x branch. (something similar to x.99 development releases for
apps). Will downgrade it to real latest 2.6 stable: 2.6.35.13 which is
still maintained as longterm category kernel.

After these changes everything should be ok now.
Thanks again for report.