mesa-8x - no r600???

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Wed May 2 14:12:27 CEST 2012

On Tuesday 01 of May 2012 21:08:04 Jean Bruenn wrote:
> Hey (zbiggy)
>
> with recent mesa-lib r600 seems to be gone; i need that driver
> otherwise my box will use software rendering (swrast) which is not
> really what i want. So.. what to do?

Blame mesa developers if you hate Gallium:

- Removed the classic Mesa r300 and r600 drivers, which are superseded by
the gallium drivers for this hardware.

If you like Gallium build on our mesa-lib with Gallium enabled you'll get:
* r600 driver
* libEGL.so
* openvg
and additional prize:
The Radeon R600g driver is also capable of OpenGL 3.0 / GLSL 1.30 support.
future improvements:
Video Decode (XvMC/VDPAU/VA-API) on the 3D engine
(we have all infrastructure in place, just radeon driver needs to advance,
maybe at 8.1 mesa release). To build your mesa/r600 with XvMC/VDPAU/VA-API
you need to install these libs first (libXvMC/libvdpau/libva) mesa-lib
module will detect that they are installed and use them. However
installing legacy, very limited API like libXvMC makes no sense in my
opinion as vdpau and libva are much more advanced.

Remeber to export VDPAU_DRIVER=r600 before using VDPAU acceleration.
You can put this export in /etc/profile to have it always system wide.
lin vdpauinfo
If you have all needed hardware/software stuff vdpauinfo should display:
Information string: G3DVL VDPAU Driver Shared Library version 1.0
Decoder capabilities:

name               level macbs width height
MPEG1                16 262144  8192  8192
MPEG2_SIMPLE         16 262144  8192  8192
MPEG2_MAIN           16 262144  8192  8192

This acceleration uses 3D shaders for decoding so expect hot GPU and
increased power consumption.