xorg-server handling IMPORTANT

Zbigniew Luszpinski zbiggy at o2.pl
Mon Mar 12 17:00:53 CET 2012

> Hey,
>
> I had a talk with Auke on IRC recently, he told me that we NEED to make
> sure that if we update xorg-server AT LEAST the modules:
>
> 	xf86-video-vesa
> 	xf86-video-fb
>
> have to work. So everytime you "bump" xorg-server please verify that
> at least these modules will compile fine. (Add them to your
> "checklist when bumping xorg-server") Checking xf86-video-ati and
> xf86-video-intel might be a nice thing, too.

If xorg-server module is bumped it must be usable. So these drivers must
compile:
NVIDIA-beta
(covers everything since Geforce6 to latest)
xf86-video-intel
xf86-video-ati
and if someone has something crazy:
xf86-video-vesa
xf86-video-fbdev

This covers all main gpu makers and vesa/fbdev for outsiders.
I did not mention here fglrx because AMD is notorious for releasing
support for current xorg month/years later. nouveau does not offer so much
as Nvidia binary blob and -nv driver is not maintaned anymore.